For Medical Practitioner enquiries please email HRMedical.SCGH@health.wa.gov.au or telephone (08) 6457 3136.
For enquiries about observerships within a particular department please contact the relevant department directly.
Information about Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
As Western Australia’s leading clinical research and teaching hospital for medical graduates across almost all major disciplines, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital excels in delivering the most comprehensive, relevant and hands-on tertiary training available in this State. This is achieved through a hospital culture that emphasises bedside and unit-based teaching programs designed and run by each department.
The Postgraduate Medical Education Department at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital provides a range of hospital-wide learning activities and professional development for Junior Medical Officers to continuously improve and expand their clinical knowledge, skills and comprehension. Initiatives include:
- Tuesday weekly lunchtime teaching programs:
- 1st Tuesday - Hospital Grand Rounds
- 2nd Tuesday - Trauma Grand Rounds
- 3rd & 5th Tuesday - University Clinical Rounds
- 4th Tuesday - MedEd Case Rounds
- Immediate Life Support (ILS)
- Advanced Life Support (ALS)
- Recognising and Responding to Clinical Deterioration (RRCD) Simulation half day workshops
- Teaching on the Run workshops for JMOs which aim to help doctors improve their teaching skills.
- Learning on the Run course mainly for interns and aimed at equipping learners with additional skills to take control of their learning.
- Intern Teaching Program (RMOs are also welcome to attend)
- JMO Practical Skills one hour workshops providing junior doctors with the opportunity to learn practical skills that are applicable to their everyday work within the hospital in a small group setting.
- Medical Lecture Series - Weekly lecture series targeting RMOs and covering topics in general and subspecialty medical fields and based around Australian Junior Doctor Curriculum Framework objectives.
- Surgical Lecture Series - Fortnightly lecture series targeting RMOs and covering topics in general and subspecialty surgical fields.
- BPT Training - Thursday morning peer-assisted learning project and weekly review of College Lecture Series and the New England Journal of Medicine.
- FRACP - Orientation lecture for written and clinical exam candidates outlining preparation program and exam format.
- RMO to Registrar Transition program – a one day professional development workshop for residents stepping up to a registrar position as well as a 2 day physician training simulation development course.
- Medicine in the Wilderness course aimed to equip junior doctors with the necessary skills to provide acute care in a wilderness setting and to translate this knowledge to a more conventional medical environment.
- IMG education program – an International Medical Graduate Orientation 12 week program for better orientation and support of new International Medical Graduates. The weekly workshops focus on topics designed to improve IMGs’ transition into the Australian health system.
- Supporting Doctors in Difficulty - Not all doctors will progress as expected. Some will require extra time and/or support to ensure that they perform at the expected level. PGME is committed to supporting doctors who experience difficulties during their training at Charlies.
For more information on any of the above programs, please contact Trish Li, Medical Education Officer on (08) 6457 7969.
Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital (SCGH) also offers a wide range of benefits for Medical Practitioners and some of these benefits include:
- Medical Workforce has an open door policy. Should you have any questions or concerns and you need to see one of the officers, doctors are able to pop in to reception and ask to see the officer they need to talk too.
- SCGH has a great JMO Society which has a wide range of perks for only $10 a fortnight.
- SCGH also has a Social Club for all staff employed in the hospital which has great benefits and offers, such as cheap yoga and Pilates classes, massages and access to cheap sporting events.
- Cheap membership to the 24hr Gym on site.
- Access to the Child Care conveniently on site at SCGH.
Components of rural paediatrics is also available at one of the secondment sites linked to SCGH.
Part Time Employment
Please Note: Applicant preferences will be considered, however the offering hospital will have the option to offer any of the employment types. Applicants may prefer to be considered for Full Time, Part Time or both.
Applicants for Full Time and / or Part Time work will be required to work day, evening, night and weekend shifts and also participate in on-call rosters. Limited rotations are available for Part Time employment.
NOTE: Minimal vacancies are available for Part Time applicants.
Part Time vacancies are hospital and department specific, and will be listed where applicable as part of individual hospital vacancy information on individual hospital sites that may be accessed via the PMCWA website.
It is recommended applicants provide details on Part Time requirements in their application cover letter.
Information about Part Time Positions at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in 2018
- RMO Nuclear Medicine, 1x 0.5FTE (4 hours per day 8:30am – 12:30pm, 5 days a week).
- RMO Emergency Medicine, 2x 0.5FTE (requires to have 2 RMOs both working 0.5FTE). 2 shifts per week which includes evening, day and night shift.
- RMO Leave Relief, 0.5FTE (1 week on, 1 week off). Shifts include evening, day and night shift.
If you are interested in Job Sharing please indicate this in your cover letter. Job share arrangements will be assessed on a case by case basis and are not guaranteed.
All doctors must be registered with AHPRA - Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority. You need to make sure you are eligible for registration through one of three pathways:
- Standard Pathway
- Competent Authority Pathway, or
- Specialist Pathway
Overseas Trained Doctors
Information for overseas qualified doctors interested in working in Western Australia is available here.