Rehabilitation and Aged Care
Telephone: (08) 6457 2644
C Block Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
The Department of Rehabilitation and Aged Care provides a comprehensive service to older people in the form of:
- Acute Care of the Elderly (ACE) unit offering acute medical treatment and multidisciplinary care for inpatients including Physiotherapy, OT, and Speech.
- Geriatric Evaluation and Management (GEM) unit offering continued medical and multidisciplinary care for inpatients deconditioned by acute medical illness and /or geriatric syndromes who require rehabilitation and complex discharge planning
- Orthogeriatric service for the peri-operative medical care of elderly orthopaedic patients and early multidisciplinary rehabilitation.
- Delirium Care Unit (DCU) – a secure unit within ward C16 SCGH for the multidisciplinary care of patients with delirium.
- Consultative Service offering assessment of all elderly inpatients for aged care rehabilitation, geriatric medical review and ACAT services.
- Daily Geriatrician review of appropriate elderly patients admitted to the Acute Assessment Unit
- General Geriatric Inpatient Rehabilitation based at Osborne Park Hospital
- 10 bed Specialist Stroke Inpatient Rehabilitation based at Osborne Park Hospital, Early Supported Discharge Programme for home-based Stroke Rehabilitation and ward based Consultative Stroke Rehabilitation Service
- Outpatient / Day Hospital specialty medical clinics in general geriatric medicine, memory, continence, falls, osteoporosis, stroke (at OPH) and psychogeriatrics.
- Outpatient / Day hospital allied health review by physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work, nursing, continence advisor and clinical psychology.
- Outpatient / Day Hospital Falls Prevention Education classes and both land and pool based group exercise classes as well as individualised physiotherapy programmes.
- Home visiting service by medical, social work, occupational therapy, nursing and ACAT services.
- Falls Specialist Service providing home-based Falls Risk Assessment and Falls Prevention Programmes
- ACAT assessments for SCGH, HPH, SJOGH and Bethesda inpatients as well as in the home and residential care facilities.